Nutrition Is The Key To Keep You In Fighting Shape
You may be stuck inside, you may not be able to return to the mats, but there is no reason you cannot continue to watch what you put in your body. With reduced physical activity, you will need to reduce your calorie intake, and increase your intake of foods that contain proper nutrients. Avoid sugary foods, especially to avoid depression or mood instability.
So, what should be in your refrigerator? Fresh foods remain essential, particularly ones that take longer to spoil. Just wash them well before eating. In terms of canned food, check the expiration date and stock up on items that last the longest.
Here are recommendations that will keep you in good health until you can resume training:
- Apples and citrus fruits, like oranges, tangerines, or grapefruit, always last the longest. Plenty of other fruit, with no added sugar, can be found in the frozen food section. Here you will find the perfect ingredients for a smoothie, like pineapple, mixed berries, and mango. Even dried fruits make perfect snacks.
- Vegetables are always valuable and can also be found in the frozen food section, with options including carrots, broccoli, spinach, zucchini, cauliflower, and green beans. Just buy the veggies and prepare them at home, however you like. Canned vegetables can be salty and be packed with liquid preserves, but if you wash them and drain the liquid, they should be fine. Try to buy the ones with little or no salt added.
- Fresh fish is not really an option, but the kind used in sandwiches and salad, such as sardines, salmon and tuna will do fine. Frozen shrimp or fish fillets are easy to prepare and are packed with omega 3 fatty acids.
- Canned beans are a perfect source of protein, not to mention fiber. Stick to the variety with little to no salt added.
- Vegetarians love their tofu, which makes them ahead of the game. Tofu comes in sealed packages and lasts for weeks in the refrigerator. Out of the package, they can last to three to five days if they remain refrigerated.
- Water, water, water! You should be able to pick up cases of bottled water by now, but you can always use a Brita filter and drink the tap water. It’s free!
Taking care of your body, by consuming the right food, will go a long way toward keeping you in fighting shape. It should be your regular practice, anyway. Maybe you will return to the gym with better habits than you had before.