Is Jui Jitsu Age Restricted?
One of the most frequent questions we get here at Grappling University is, “Is there an age restriction to participate in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?” Although we cannot make the decision for you to place you, your child, or a family member into our Jiu Jitsu programs, our dedicated, knowledgeable, and experienced staff responds with a resounding answer,
“There is no age limit to learning the art of self-protection and preserving the development of healthy habits”
From youth to old age, exercising the body helps bones, muscles, and bodily systems to stay strong and continue performing properly. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has a magnitude of positive benefits for each age.
Is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu appropriate for kids?
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is one of the safest sport activities for kids who are looking to add skills to their life. It teaches children the importance of focus, determination, independence coupled with teamwork, and is a great past-time activity for them to participate in. The characteristics gained from our program will follow children into adulthood and contribute to their successful futures.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches hard work ethic, but allows room for play- As children, it is so important to allow them to discover the importance of hard work, but also explore themselves in a playful environment. Children learn best by being in a hands-on environment that does not diminish their ability to imagine and grow.
- Children will practice in a structured environment- Routine and structure is vital to a children’s daily activities, including those that may be extracurricular such as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Our programs provide instruction that is tailored to specific age groups, enabling children the ability to learn new techniques and tactics in a controlled environment.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches self-discipline- Self-discipline is a trait that will follow children well into adulthood and into their elder years. Jiu Jitsu forces participants to realize their full potential, including the ability to discipline their bodies to train and to find time for practice. Self-discipline is vital to growth and is an especially important trait to learn during the early years.
- Our programs allow children to gain confidence and discover body awareness- It is amazing to see the growth of our participants from their first day on the mat to only a few weeks in. Finding confidence allows children to expose themselves to a successful, fruitful life even outside of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It opens children’s full potential to be themselves and to show their true strength inside and out.
- It shows children the importance of exercise- Today, a lot of time is being spent in the virtual world; one where children are not able to use their energy to create healthy habits physically and mentally. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a healthy and sustainable activity that teaches the importance of physical condition and strengthens a child’s ability to exhibit mental and emotional strength.
- Lastly, our program teaches children self-defense- In a world of unknown circumstances, children need to be prepared in all areas of life, including that of physical and emotional self-defense. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a learned skill that can be maintained throughout the course of a child’s life, allowing them to physically take care of themselves when needed and enabling them to exhibit emotional strength and discipline throughout all of life’s challenges.
What about Seniors?
As the body ages, muscles, bones, ligaments, and tendons begin to become brittle, putting the elderly at a higher risk for injury. The importance of exercise and healthy habits is vital as the body ages and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a fantastic way to maintain an elderly person’s quality of life.
Although the practice may not be as intense for a senior as it would for a younger participant, the elderly can find an array of benefits that can flourish their later years in life. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practices and techniques strengthen weak areas of the body and boost the immune system to better provide the elderly protection from illnesses and injury.
Our programs also enable seniors to socialize, which is especially important during the later years in life when one may be living alone or away from family. Here at Grappling University, each of our participants are welcomed with open arms and guaranteed a lasting relationship, no matter the age!
Whether you are three or ninety-nine, Grappling University is ready to welcome you with open arms. We are excited to provide you with skills that will enhance your life, even outside the walls of our training facility! To gather more information, please visit our website. We look forward to training with you!